By Roger Hoover / Smokies Radio Network
Good morning and Happy Opening Day everybody! It’s great to have baseball beginning again, not only in the big leagues but also all around minor league baseball as well. Today’s a big day for the Chicago Cubs organization as the Cubs begin their season against the Washington Nationals at 2:20 p.m. ET at Wrigley Field. Ryan Dempster will start for the Cubs while the Nationals will start Stephen Strasburg.
It’s a big day for the Cubs’ AA club as well, as the Tennessee Smokies open the season against the Chattanooga Lookouts tonight at AT&T Field with a 7:15 p.m. first pitch. Nick Struck will start for the Smokies against Chattanooga’s Allen Webster.
A new feature this season to the Smokies Radio Network blog is called “What We’re Reading.” These posts will provide links to stories that we’re interested in from all around baseball. You never know, we may even discuss these stories during the game broadcast tonight.
We hope you enjoy this new feature, and check back to this site during the day for more news and notes as we get set for the start of Smokies baseball!
– Knoxville News Sentinel: Short night for Smokies, Dae-Eun Rhee
– Knoxville News Sentinel: Buddy Bailey ready for return to Smokies
– Chattanooga Times Free Press: 2012 “Meet the Lookouts” player capsules
– Chattanooga Times Free Press: Kyle Russell ready to lead for Lookouts
– MiLB.com: Jackson packed with top-flight pitching
– MiLB.com: Blue Wahoos ready to make big splash
– Des Moines Register: Iowa Cubs: This team is loaded
– Chicago Tribune: Changes aplenty at Wrigley Field
– Chicago Sun-Times: At 22, All-Star shortstop Starlin Castro understands his third season is crucial
– Carrie Muskat: MLB.com: Sveum wants good spring vibes to follow Cubs
– Len Kasper and Bob Brenly: First Impressions
– Grantland: The Radioactive Dugout