By Roger Hoover / Smokies Radio Network
Birmingham’s eight runs in the top of the first were too much for the Tennessee Smokies to overcome on Thursday, falling 13-6 at Smokies Park.
The Barons have scored 24 runs in the past two games against the Smokies, and can win the series with another victory in the remaining two games.
– Knoxville News Sentinel: Big first inning propels Birmingham, 13-6
– Knoxville News Sentinel: A closer’s mentality key for Smokies’ Kevin Rhoderick
– Bleed Cubbie Blue: Cubs Minor League Wrap: June 28
– Chicago Tribune: Cubs learning from Fenway makeover
– Chicago Tribune: Series preview: Astros at Cubs
– Chicago Sun-Times: Patience needed as Cubs don’t have another Anthony Rizzo ready
– CSN Chicago: Hoyer’s message to Cubs: Come and get it
– Houston Chronicle: Astros stop no-hit bid from Conroe alum, but still lose
– ESPN Los Angeles: Dodgers have deal with Yasiel Puig
– Yahoo’s Big League Stew: The Juice: Viciedo’s big homer makes Yankees long for Mo, Bumgarner pitches like mad
– The New York Times: Yankees Look Within to Patch Rotation
– Miami Herald: Miami’s Focus Turns to Disappointing Marlins